Saturday, December 20, 2008

Food v/s Money???

I don't understand how I got the courage to write this post at this time of my semester. By using the word 'courage' I mean my externals are going on. I wrote my first paper yesterday. I just could not resist sharing an incident which took place while I was on my way to college. 

I saw a man in rags in the dumping grounds near Bangalore University. It is a highway and passing that road in the peak hours is a nightmare. The traffic moves at a snail pace and one has to stand on feet until some of the vehicles move. I was standing there when I saw this man. He seemed mentally unstable. He was picking up some papers from the dump and was making a small bonfire nearby. When there was enough heat, he picked up a dead rat and started roasting it. I was shocked !! I could not see a man eating a dead rat. I turned around. I was even more shocked to see the people around me. Some saw him and made faces as though they were disgusted, some were laughing at him and some were indifferent. That man eating a dead rat made no impact on anyone.

The traffic began to move. I had to act fast to stop him from eating that rat. I was a bit scared to talk to him. May be because of his appearance. But still I did not want to leave him like that. I opened my wallet and took out a 50 rupees note and put it in front of him. I left the place with my vehicle and stood at a distance to check whether the man took the note. He came near the note and looked at me. I forcibly smiled and left for my college. As I told you I had my exams and forgot all about this.

While coming back, I remembered the incident and thought of checking whether he had not eaten the rat. I didn't see him anywhere, took a U turn and came to the place where he was previously there. I was shocked again as I saw some leftovers.. probably of the rat and a charred 50 rupees note!!  He had used the money I gave him as a fuel to his bonfire!! I was disappointed but that gave me some sense. I realised it was food that was more important to him than money. Everyone knows the value of hunger. As I told you before he was mentally unstable. Probably I should have thought of it at the time of giving him the money. I am not disappointed that he made a wrong use of my money but I am disappointed that the money I gave him did not help him with his food the way I wanted it to help.. 

3 comments:

Anish Bhandarkar said...

a very noble gesture without doubt..
kudos to u..
maybe that man was so psychologically affected that he has forgotten the use of paper money.. think of him as a pre-historic cave man, . . his reaction wud've been similar, given a choice of 'food' and paper !!!

Anish Bhandarkar said...

u may want to contact NIMHANS and inform them of his existence...
they mite be able to help him...

Priya said...

I can call but I can't give them the exact location. He seemed to be nomadic. I have not seen him after that day. I should have done it that day itself.