Friday, October 17, 2008

Superstitions

Superstition is said to be a belief in certain extra ordinary or singular events, or magic, omens, prognostics and other things like that. It is said to be believed from a long time back right from our great grandparents and theirs.. But have you ever wondered what they actually mean.. Cut out the scientific reasons. I wont be giving you the scientific reasons behind them like today's parents. Just the funny part of it.. But take it a bit seriously guys...

A glutton who called himself a family friend had come to visit my place for Diwali. He managed to eat the whole of a sweet box which was meant for the whole family. I was actually gaping at him.. My grandma hushed me saying it is bad on my part to gape at what others eat... They will suffer a bad stomach the next day. I thought, obviously he has to suffer if he eats so much.. Whether I stare at him or not..

There was a crow cawing at the top of my house. My grandma started preparing some good dishes that day saying there will be some guests coming home as the crow was cawing at the top of its voice. The dishes were so yummy but we were not allowed to touch any as they were meant for some unexpected guests. Well there were no one that day and it actually belonged to us. From that day we started putting some grains on the terrace so that in attracts some crows and my grandma starts preparing tasty dishes again..

My dad was leaving for the airport early in the morning in a cab. The cab driver seemed to be in his early twenties and was a very rash driver.. [ He may have given Karthikeyan a tough competition I guess.. ] He had put loud music what my dad hates and had covered the whole of his head with a monkey cap.. Suddenly a black cat crossed his path.. He screeched the cab to a halt and was completely blank.. My dad did not want to be late to the airport and asked him to continue. He hesitated to move further but my dad insisted [ He doesn't believe these things].. The driver was a changed man.. He put on a devotional song and did not speed up more than 40kmph the whole of the journey.. The black cat was good for my dad and there was nothing bad for the whole of the journey..

I heard someone say that 3 people cannot leave the home at the same time and go to any auspicious places or marriages.. I have also seen some people carrying a stone with them if they are 3 and it can't be avoided.. Does the stone mean a person??? Well.. I think its better to have a stone with them as the auto drivers in Bangalore charge extra if there are more than 3.. We are 3 in our family and we don't carry stones whenever we go out.. In the age of nuclear families you just can't help being 3.. 

I have seen a lot of people not starting anything good on a Tuesday.. I was wondering why was Tuesday named as Mangalwaar by our ancestors instead of Amangalwaar. I saw a person not attending an exam as it started on a Tuesday.. He was confident he will make through the supplement exams without even knowing about the main exam.. I was surprised when I found out his mother had asked him not to attend the exam.. It is definitely bad for his future if he doesn't attend his exam on a Tuesday.

Well this exactly is not a superstition.. but it is a popular belief in India that some people can predict a person's future by reading the lines on the palm.. This was an incident which took place with me..
I had been to a marriage. I saw many people crowding a person at one corner of the hall. Being a girl, I had to be curious. I made my way through it with great difficulty and found out it was a palmist. Everyone circled him to find out what the lines on their palms meant. I was about to show my palm to him when my eyes fell on a little boy who did not have his right hand. I felt strange. I stood there staring at him. He smiled and called me. When I went there he was laughing at those people flocking near the palmist and told me Didi.. mera haath nahi hai tho mera future bhi nahi hai kya?? Yeh sab bakwaas hai.. Mat maano.. I hugged and kissed him.. He was an eye opener. That was the last day I worried about my future..  

2 comments:

ashwini said...

Very true.. Nice post..I too don believe d cat story..Its juz crazy..Wat wil those ppl do who have cats as pets?? They gotto stop everytime their pet moves in front of em.. lolzz !!

Anish Bhandarkar said...

VERY VERY NICE !
keep it up..